Friday, May 2, 2008

Shevchenko On Chelsea and Milan Derby


Chelsea made it to the final, breaking the jinx of Liverpool after beating them 3-2 at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. Though not playing a big part as in Milan, Shevchenko made it to the final for the 3rd time in 5 years. His penalty brought Milan their 6th European Champions title in 2003

Today, he is no longer the talisman, but remain a model professional for Chelsea, playing as well as he can when called upon. He remains coy about a return to Milan after this season, but admits he still holds the Rossoneri dear to his heart. Milan president & Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi has frequently said he would welcome Shevchenko back.

But he, as professional as ever, remain committed to his current team.

``There is a lot of talk about my return,'' Shevchenko said in a television interview published in Corriere dello Sport. ``But I am not authorised to say anything more than this: that my links to Milan have always been great."

``Milan gave me a lot, they helped me grow as a player and they helped me win the European Footballer of the Year award and the Champions League.

``I have great memories. Relationships with my team-mates are very important and many of them have remained."

``The president has always been very kind to me, he suggested to me to take a house in Antigua, I listened to him and I made a great investment."

``I thank him for everything he has done for me, he is very close to my heart. He helped me a lot, in many things."

``I miss my friends in Italy, the true ones, and the food, a lot.''

Though considered a flop by many, his record of 20 goals in 68 appearances for Chelsea is still respectable.

``I haven't managed to play much this year,'' continued Shevchenko. ``Whether for physical problems or technical reasons.

``But in the game I have played in I managed to make a small contribution with seven goals.

``The language? I manage to communicate, I manage to speak to my team-mates, but I am very far from perfection.''

When asked about the Milan derby, Shevchenko has this to say.

``The derby has always been a special game, a great one,'' continued Shevchenko. ``I think this derby will mean more to Milan because they are fighting for fourth place, to play in the Champions League and, above all, it's their home game.

``I have told all my friends in England that, to understand Italian football, you have to go to the Milan derby because it's a spectacular game.

``I give my best wishes to my former team-mates. I know how important it is to win the derby, especially in the race for fourth place.

``I think that the more important games give me a larger rush: the more the game is important the more I manage to give.

``The most important goal I scored in a derby was that in the Champions League semi-final.''

No comments: